Knox Thoughts - A place for open discussion

The Theory and Performance Class has decided to research the issues of sexual assault and responsibility on the Knox Campus with the intention of filtering the anonymous research through a creative lens. Part of that process involves gathering perspectives and opinions from the students and faculty at Knox that have been generated about these issues. The goal is to get an idea of what the college is feeling and thinking about sexual assault and responsibility and to respond to that through a theatrical production.

To this end, we are inviting anyone on campus to respond to a few questions provided in this forum. We encourage you to add your own topics for discussion. To do this simply select click on the "Click Here for All Questions" link and then "Add new thread."

This forum is completely anonymous (you need not "log in"). Please respect the opinions and feelings of others in responding to comments.

This is an ANONYMOUS forum. Please DO NOT use a username that identifies yourself

RE: Do you practice the enthusiastic “yes” or “no” in your sexual encounters?

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 am
by Comment

I'm trying to discipline myself to avoid just commenting on other comments. It forces me to take the question itself as a starting point. So a general comment only: Only a few of the comments address the non-verbal, and the relationship between verbal and non-verbal, which is a subject of special interest for theatre.

Yes/no are verbal. They have "quotes" around them - unless by using quotes you're hinting that they're not "just words." In any event, they may be necessary, but they are not sufficient. Our law and common sense both consider diminished capacity. Drunk/drugged/under-age persons are not capable of consenting, even if they say "yes," enthusiastically or otherwise.

Speaking of enthusiasm. By introducing this word, and introducing it first (good work!), the question specifically if subtly prompts us to consider the non-verbal. And it suggests that the non-verbal comes first. When you approach someone, what intent guides your action? When you respond to an approach, what intent guides your action? (By non-verbal, I'll include our own interior monologues -- verbal, but not expressed to the other person.)

Taking a hint from the order of words in the question... one might ask first: "Do I practice the enthusiastic in my encounters?" Or do I practice the compulsive, the habitual, the manipulative...? Some honest self-examination never hurt anyone.

Not to nitpick, but "enthusiasm" is derived from the idea that actions are motivated from outside the body -- divine possession. There are two belief systems here. One is the belief that actions flow ultimately and/or only from some non-material origin -- the spirit. This kind of spirit-motivation gets lip service, but I'm not sure we really believe it. The other belief is that actions flow only from a material origin -- a bodily origin. That is, my actions flow from my own materiality. That doesn't mean they flow only from my own individual materiality. We are a species. I may make my actions and my intents, but I did not make my contexts. What I have to work with here is in significant part inherited, evolved, discovered.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: geeta200147
Board Statistics
The forum has 542 topics and 638 posts.