Knox Thoughts - A place for open discussion

The Theory and Performance Class has decided to research the issues of sexual assault and responsibility on the Knox Campus with the intention of filtering the anonymous research through a creative lens. Part of that process involves gathering perspectives and opinions from the students and faculty at Knox that have been generated about these issues. The goal is to get an idea of what the college is feeling and thinking about sexual assault and responsibility and to respond to that through a theatrical production.

To this end, we are inviting anyone on campus to respond to a few questions provided in this forum. We encourage you to add your own topics for discussion. To do this simply select click on the "Click Here for All Questions" link and then "Add new thread."

This forum is completely anonymous (you need not "log in"). Please respect the opinions and feelings of others in responding to comments.

This is an ANONYMOUS forum. Please DO NOT use a username that identifies yourself

What is your personal definition of rape?

in Click Here For All Questions Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 am
by KnoxThoughts • 12 Posts
Scroll up

RE: What is your personal definition of rape?

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 pm
by No name specified • ( Guest )

Rape happens when someone takes sex from you without your permission. It is a shocking thing, to realize that someone thinks that your body is theirs to do what they want with. It is dehumanizing. It makes you realize that your feelings, your thoughts, your autonomy, don't matter to your rapist-- a person who is often someone you know: your boss, significant other, a date, a family member... It's a terrible shock to feel so dehumanized. The violation makes you lose trust in people (I used to assume that I could trust everyone not to rape me: friends, family, strangers-- well, I it's not true).

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm
by Petrus

I've never considered the difference between "rape" and "sexual assault" until noticing the fact that there are two different questions on this forum; therefore, asked to define them separately, I'll say that "rape" applies to any situation that involves a negative confirmation (e.g., "no," "stop," "I don't want to," etc.) on the part of one of the participants, or in which a participant says "I do not want to do [xyz]" and their partner does [xyz] anyway. Boundaries are clearly defined in some way and are clearly violated or broken.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:59 pm
by mapleleaf

Any unwanted sexual contact that involves penetrating the surface plane of the body. Unwanted or forced sexual use of any orifice or any interior portion of the body.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Forced sex.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:34 pm

The English word "rape" is derived from "seize" -- that is, after the invaders killed the men, they would seize the women and children for sex and slavery.

So, rape, in our common parlance, involves some kind of physical force.

However, that definition has been shown inadequate for legal purposes -- in that proof of physical force requires physical resistance, thus requiring victims to prove that they resisted. That's why the term "sexual assault" was adopted -- because it does not carry the implied requirement for victims to prove that they resisted. See my other entry in the sexual assault topic.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Check out the definition of "assault and battery."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_and_battery

For a long time, Illinois was one of the states that defined "battery" as a crime that involves contact, but "assault" did not involve contact. Assault was anything that put you "in reasonable apprehension of a battery" -- essentially a threat.

I'm not objecting to changes in terminology -- clearly a lot of people thought that "assault" was a more serious word than "battery," so it's OK to use "assault" to talk about a more serious crime. But I think it's useful to ponder the flow between contact and non-contact, verbal and non-verbal.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: geeta200147
Board Statistics
The forum has 541 topics and 637 posts.