Knox Thoughts - A place for open discussion

The Theory and Performance Class has decided to research the issues of sexual assault and responsibility on the Knox Campus with the intention of filtering the anonymous research through a creative lens. Part of that process involves gathering perspectives and opinions from the students and faculty at Knox that have been generated about these issues. The goal is to get an idea of what the college is feeling and thinking about sexual assault and responsibility and to respond to that through a theatrical production.

To this end, we are inviting anyone on campus to respond to a few questions provided in this forum. We encourage you to add your own topics for discussion. To do this simply select click on the "Click Here for All Questions" link and then "Add new thread."

This forum is completely anonymous (you need not "log in"). Please respect the opinions and feelings of others in responding to comments.

This is an ANONYMOUS forum. Please DO NOT use a username that identifies yourself

Why do you think rape occurs on the Knox campus?

in Click Here For All Questions Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:00 am
by KnoxThoughts • 12 Posts
Scroll up

RE: Why do you think rape occurs on the Knox campus?

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:57 am
by No name specified • ( Guest )

Rape occurs at Knox because some people think that they have a right to take sex from people (significant others, people who flirted with them or did sexual things with them in the past, etc). They don't understand or care that consent is always required.

I also think that rape would occur less often at Knox if it were punished more harshly. It's more socially acceptable than it should be, and should always be punished harshly by Knox when it happens.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm
by mapleleaf

Ours is a rape culture, and nothing about Knox changes that or even minimizes it in any way.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Rape happens everywhere, but I do believe that an educational process could help the current difficulties that are happening at Knox. Instead of finding "scapegoats" and affixing blame, we need to assess the real issues and offer solutions. I hope that this is being done, but I'm doubtful that this has been handled in the proper fashion.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Because too many people find themselves or the other person under the influence of drugs/alcohol.
Putting aside legal definitions, you really cannot consent (or tell if the person is consenting) if you are under the influence. Sex is fun enough! You shouldn't need alcohol!

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't think the Knox campus is more rape-ridden than other campuses around the nation. I'm not sure why rape is so prevalent on college campuses. Is it our age? Is it how crammed together we all are like rats in a box? Is it the competition that finds such fodder here? I don't know.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 am
by phone

When two people are under the influence of alcohol, neither can give clear consent to have sex or not. To turn the situation on one person is not fair. People look to blame their poor decisions on others and receive positive reinforcement by the Knox community with the attention they receive for being "raped". Look at it the other way, how can you tell who raped who? When both people are under the influence their is no way to discern this.

Instead of blaming others, come to terms with the fact that it was their own mistake. In the real world, one has to live with their own consequences, including faults like these. One should not have to drink to have sex anyways, it is a beautiful thing on its own.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:17 pm
by College Girl

A lot of people think that sexual assault is a "big school" issue, where partying takes on a new and perhaps more dangerous meaning. But as we all know, especially after the events of last year, sexual assault happens at Knox.

Knox is not at all unique in having to deal with the problem of sexual assault. This happens so frequently that it is, quite frankly, disturbing. Rape is a highly under-reported crime, and it happens everywhere, on college campuses and everywhere in between.

I do know that the majority of cases that have gone to the Grievance Panel about sexual assault have involved alcohol, so that is a very important factor to keep in mind when it comes to the occurrence of the crime on this campus.

It is important to understand that sexual assault and how to navigate the topic of consent during a sexual encounter are topics that are not being discussed nearly enough. This is true of all places. American culture still hesitates to talk about sex openly and honestly, which means that people are socialized with ideas about what it means to be a wo/man that make it easy to find onself the dynamics of a sexual relationship that may involve assault. We need to talk about these topics more.

Knox has done a good job of making this happen. In 2008 Rachael Goodman-Williams wrote a workshop about sexual assault that she presented to groups of First-Years during orientation. In 2009 and 2010, her workshop was modified by Knox students who carried on her message of giving students multiple spaces in which to think about sex and the realities of sexual assault. In the 2010 version of that workshop, consent and how to check in with your partner, were major parts of that presentation, and the presenters are available to talk to upperclassman who request them.

This kind of thing needs to continue its presence on campus, so people understand that not talking about sex/sexual assault does not mean that people will stop beign assaulted. But I also think that Knox is, in some ways, already looking to make sure that this continues.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Is there anywhere on line that Rachel Goodman-Williams has this workshop or its publications? Can it be distributed, maybe at the bookstore? It sounds good. In groups, in workshops. It'd also be good to read it.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:54 pm
by Otilia

Rape occurs at Knox campus because rape occurs wherever you have drunk, stoned, or otherwise "impaired" hormonal college students congregating in... not even large numbers, actually.

Regardless, it is necessary to call sexual assault as it is: sexual assault. As long as Knox does that, there isn't too much else that they can do. But tell the kiddies otherwise, and they'll act otherwise- and who will be to blame then?

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:23 pm
by swimmer

The same reason it happens on other campuses, alcohol makes the line blurry to us and clouds judgment.

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:47 pm
by the_moon_in_your_eyes

I think rape occurs on Knox Campus because there are still many people who BELIEVE they can't say no after a certain point during a sexual encounter. People, girls especially, have to know that it does not matter if you are already naked or if the guy is about to insert his penis, you can still say no. It is YOUR body and if the guy makes a girl feel bad (like calling her a tramp or a tease)then he wasn't a very nice guy to begin with. Seriously, do not settle for a guy like this when there IS better. Especially considering how this is just a bubble we are in here at Knox.
Anyway, I think it is important to continue giving sex talks especially to the incoming first years who are JUST coming from high school and have to start over with their "reputations". I know there are girls out there who know the kind of environment a party can turn into but there are also some girls who, because of peer pressure or because they are trying out a different role, will give in to what people ask of them even if they are uncomfortable. JUST SPEAK UP IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING. Nothing will ever change with silence...

Scroll up

in Click Here For All Questions Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:45 pm
by College Girl

Rachael Goodman-Williams, I think, is in the process of having her workshop edited/copywritten. I do not think it is currently available in its entirety for use outside of her personal supervision.

However, the past two years have seen students on campus editing the workshop she did and presenting that. Those versions of the workshop, which are more updated, may be able to be made available with permission from the student who wrote it.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: geeta200147
Board Statistics
The forum has 541 topics and 637 posts.